Nowadays maybe there's a
lot of people know about cracking (network cracking), it is a
modification or disable features which are considered undesirable by the
person cracking the network. Maybe for some people when they hear about
cracking the network it looks like a very hard to do because it
involved a high skill programming language or understanding networking.
What is Session Hijacking Every time you connected to the web application (usually a dynamic web
application) you will have a unique ID called "session", this session
will identifies you as a valid user and will always valid until you kill
the session (log out process) or the session has expired. Some bad
people trying to identifies or guessing the session ID value to gain
privileges as a valid user in a web application.
Firesheep HTTP Session Hijacking
Firesheep is a firefox extension to do the session hijacking. I was very
surprised that this tools can hijack Facebook, Twitter, WordPress,
Amazon, etc from the valid user. The most important thing that this
tools is very easy to configure and to launch an attack. Just a few step
1. Download Firesheep 2. Sit on a unencrypted wireless network
3. Turn on your wireless card(support promiscuous mode, such as :
atheros, orinocco, etc) and join the network
4. Start capturing with firesheep
5. Just wait until some user authenticate at the facebook, twitter, etc.
Step by Step Firesheep Configuration
1. The picture below is the interface of firesheep(clickview –> sidebar –> firesheep) and you can click the red circle for
2. In this picture you should choose which interface you want to capture
the data. for example when you're in a wireless network, you should
activate the wireless adapter.
3. This picture below tells you which website session can hijacked
handle by this addons.
4. Usually when
capturing data, will use TCP port 80, because if it's 443 I think will
be encrypted, but I still didn't try for another port :-) .